Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stressors

I'm feeling stressed so I'm going to write about some of the stressors of training to hopefully make them go away. I'm starting to get sick, it's been a long week with a lot of grading at school, my body hurts, I haven't slept enough and I am trying to run 65 miles this week. It's difficult. Writing out a training plan is so easy, but when it comes down to actually making it a reality life often gets in the way. Teaching is a good job for someone in training because I really only 'work' from 8-3. But there is a ton of other stuff that goes along with teaching. The thing I hate most - grading. There's also lesson planning and everyday meeting the demands of the students. I teach 5 classes which essentially means I have to stand up in front of the class and give 5 presentations everyday. Of course I try to put as much of the work on the students as I can, but it's hard to be in charge of 70 pubescent kids who would rather be socializing and goofing around than trying to learn another language. There are also kids who need extra help that come to me during my prep periods and lunch so I get very little down time. Plus I commute 45 minutes each way to work. And don't forget that all I really want to do everyday is watch tv, have a couple beers and eat bar food. So why do I train? Why am I trying to do this stuff that is really unnecessary when it is obvious that I would be less stressed if I lived an easy life? I've been asking myself that too much lately... The answer is I want to see what I can do. I want to challenge myself. I like the challenge. I'm not one that is so competitive that I will constantly challenge myself to improve on what I have already done, but I do like to challenge myself to do new things. I want to compete in an ironman because it takes a lot of commitment and honestly I don't know if I have what it takes. I think I do. But I don't know. This year will tell me. I hope I can stay afloat, accomplish what I need to get done, do it well and maybe most importantly, not forget that this challenge for myself should not be an excuse to be selfish.

I think I use the 'I've had a long day' line a little too much sometimes. I don't have to run or bike or swim. I choose to. So I'll let this post be my bitching for the day.

I really struggled to get through a run last night. I warmed up then did (or tried to do) 10 miles a little above race pace and then cooled down. The first 8ish miles went well and were all between 6:35-6:52min/mile, but the 9th was in the 7's and the 10th was just shy of 8 minutes. My legs really fatigued fast. Not a good sign with the race 4 weeks away... Maybe I went out too fast. I might try it again next week on a day when I'm more rested and see how it goes. 30 miles down this week. 35 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment