Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chocolate milk and toenails...

So I'm trying out a new recovery drink - chocolate milk. It tastes pretty good, is really cheap compared to the high end stuff like Endurox, and supposedly (according to this guy, fitness magazine and even CBS News!) is actually better at replenishing the body after a long workout. Now I am sometimes a lazy triathlete... Even though it only takes a few minutes, after a long workout I rarely take the time to stretch and rehydrate/eat. It needs to change and I'm starting now. Before I didn't feel like going out and spending $40+ on a recovery drink that I didn't know worked or blah blah blah, but now that all I need is some choco milk. I (should) have no excuse. The only part that I'm not too sure about is whether or not it has enough protein to repair the muscles. Typically weight lifters will try to get at least 20g of protein after a workout and although it's a different type of workout, the roughly 10g protein in choco milk seems a tad light. But we'll see. Anything is better than what I have been doing which is just ignoring the recovery.

I got in a great workout yesterday and had a nice tall glass when I finished though. I did an 11 mile loop with a ~2 mile warm up, 1.5 mile sprint in 8:48, 1/4 mile jog, 1 mile sprint 5:50, 1/2 mile jog, 1.5 mile sprint 9:05, 1/4 mile jog and a mile sprint 6:17 and then a 25 minute cool down. I'd like to keep my pace a little closer through all the intervals, but I was really pushing at the beginning and just couldn't go that fast by the end of it. I'll take an easy day today and some weights (maybe a couple beers to cap things off). Then tomorrow some shorter intervals, an easy Friday with more weights and Saturday I'm going to try to push myself on the track with some mile repeats on ~1 minute rest.

Oh yeah, and I think I'm going to lose my big toe nail any day now. When I do sprints my feet tend to slip around in my shoes a little bit and I feel like I always get at least one black toe nail which inevitably leads to it falling off. It's gross. I know. Why do we even have toenails?? And aside from wearing bigger shoes, which I don't like bc I like my running shoes to be snug, how can I avoid this? At least it's fall going into winter and I'll be wearing shoes for the next few months....

No comments:

Post a Comment