Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Feeling good

A wonderful past few days and a lot to look forward to this week. This past Friday I was really tired and took some down time instead of doing the easy 5 miles I had planned, but my legs were sore and I fell asleep almost as soon as I got home from school so I probably needed the rest. Saturday I slept in, ate a nice breakfast and then put in a 20 mile run. It was great.  My legs felt really strong. Last week when I ran 17 I didn't have my HR monitor on, but I could tell I was running a little harder than I maybe should have been. This week I kept my HR right at the threshold (average 163) and it took me about 2:34 (7:45ish pace). I know I could have gone faster, but I'm trying to keep my endurance up and make sure I stay out there for a long time. Although my HR went up toward the end of the run when I was holding the same pace, this is expected after 2 hours of running. I'll also have better/more nutrition when I'm trying to go at race pace. Something else amazing is that this week is a recovery week! YESS!!! I went for an easy 6 yesterday at a pretty good pace (7:15ish) and my legs felt strong as ever. It also helped that I got to sleep in again thanks to Chris Columbus and no school, but my fitness is pretty high right now. Much higher than it was last year at this time. I'm looking forward to a couple interval workouts this week and no long run. I talked with some running buddies from high school on Saturday night and they gave me a good workout that I think I'll try on Saturday - 5 x mile repeats with a minute rest and decreasing time for each one. That should get my legs going pretty good. And doing intervals Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday should still be a solid week despite not going too long.

Last weeks totals: 46 miles running, 30 minutes on the bike and 1 hour in the gym (weak - I know).

I can't skip over 2 other very important events that took place this weekend. First, my good friends Andy and Elizabeth got married on Saturday night. It was at a great spot down in olde city. Nice service, beautiful reception and plenty of food and booze. I think I put on about 5-6 pounds this weekend haha. The party was great and I love getting together with the HMHS crowd. The second event was the IM World Championships. Chris "Macca" McCormack won what seemed to be an awesome race. I can't wait to see it on Dec. 18 at 4pm on NBC. Possibly more shocking than the men's champion was the fact that Chrissie Wellington didn't race for the women. Which, of course, means that there was a new female champion crowned - Miranda Carfrae. I'd also like to wish congratulations to any and all that raced Kona this year. Maybe I'll get there some day...

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to see you graph your progress. It's a nice visual tool.
    Love
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pete!

    Welcome to the blogosphere. Great blog, although makes me feel so out of shape! happy you are still able to find time to enjoy weddings (my best to andy and elizabeth) and the phils (giants are going down). keep up the awesome work! excited to keep reading until july 2011.

    PS- My dad's boston marathon time was 2:58, and that was before they had chip times (so he lost a few minutes at the beginning and the end, but he is still happy with it). You can always talk to him about training, although it was a lot different in those days (longest runs he had before marathons were 16 miles).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a log of all my workouts here, Mom.

    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-monthly.asp?type=train&year=2010&month=10&day=13&memberid=173372

    And Ashley- When you first told me your dad broke 3 hours I made that my goal. You can tell him I'm gunning for him haha. I have no idea how he just tacked on another 10 miles on race day...that's insane.

    ReplyDelete