Monday, November 1, 2010

Hopefully time off pays off

When I wrote in last Thursday morning I was pretty tired, stressed and sore from the workout I did last Wednesday. I ran Thursday afternoon for about 40 minutes and felt absolutely dead. My legs and respiratory system were in agony. It was more than fatigue - I was getting sick. Friday I was extremely tired and could barely talk. The same Saturday and Sunday. So I took those days completely off. Again this week I fell well short of my goal (which almost makes me wonder why I set goals if I never attain them...), but hopefully it won't hurt me too much. I'm still not feeling 100%, but I'm going to try and go nice and easy today. I'm not setting a milage goal. I'll just go out and see how I feel. Of course being 3 weeks away from the marathon, this should be my biggest volume week before I start tapering down and focusing on speed work, so that will be in the back of my mind. But with a chest cold I will be going at a nice easy pace. I think I have been getting overly ambitious with my running goals and the (little) amount of work I have put in. The BQ time of 3:10 should be my goal. Anything better is icing on the cake. I want to break 3 hours, but I just don't  know if that is in the cards this year.

I can't help looking forward now even though the marathon is still 3 weeks away. I'm excited to get back in the pool and learn a little from my friend Thomas. Plus all this running has made my upper body start to wither away (vanity kicking in). It will feel nice to get a little muscle back and start mixing up my workouts a little more. There will be a big focus on swimming during December and January. I want to build speed, comfort in the water, and endurance over the winter. Then in the spring there is a 4.4 mile ocean swim in the Chesapeake that I want to try and tackle. I figure if I can make it 4.4 miles, the IM 2.4 should feel like a cakewalk. Some time in the next couple days (maybe weeks if I get busy) I will outline my complete approach to 2011- training, races, tests, goals, etc. Stay posted!

Sidebar- Something that kills me is not knowing how much it is hurting me when I miss workouts. I'll never know how fast I could have run the marathon if I had actually completed all of my goals. I'll only know that what I put in produced what I end up doing. It is extremely frustrating because I don't know the actual value of any given workout. But then again, each workout probably depends on the workouts around it to determine a value. So one workout's value could change drastically based on what happens before and after it...

No comments:

Post a Comment