Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Interval workouts

I've been running a couple times a week with Tatnall's cross country team. They are fast. And for good reason. On Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays they do interval workouts which are the key to speed, I'm finding out. A nice thing I'm finding is that I don't have to sacrifice distance when doing these workouts either. I probably put in around 7-7.5 miles yesterday and most of them were at near full exertion. We did 14x400m in around 80sec per rep with a minute break between. Plus a 20 minute warm up and timed 1 mile at the end (6:06). The other nice thing is that the path we followed was on grass and not flat so it gave me some cushioning and race like conditions with the hills. The only thing I don't like about working out with the team is that it takes forever to get the workout in. They spend a ton of time stretching (which I should do more of) and then warm up and then work out and then cool down... Their practices don't end until around 5:45 at which point I need to drive back to Phila. And if I were to just drive home after school and do the workout around the Schuykill river loop I would be all finished and home by 5:45 easily. But it is nice to see the kids outside of the classroom and have someone to push me as well as helping to push the kids.

Anyway, a good workout yesterday despite not hitting the weights as I had planned. Today I'm taking off to see the Phillies take on their Reds in the first post season game. Tomorrow I want to do some longer interval sets and I need to pump some iron. Although it's also back to school night...so we'll see what I can accomplish.

GO PHILS!

No comments:

Post a Comment