So it's not a problem, but I was expecting to put on some pounds after I stopped running as much as I had been...and I haven't. I'm still right below 150. This isn't something that bothers me, but in my 'plan' for the year I was hoping for some off season weight gain in the form of muscle. I figure if I can put on about 5-8 pounds of muscle over the winter I should be able to really start generating some power on the bike and the swim. I know it has only been two and a half weeks since the marathon, but I would have thought I would be up a little higher than I am currently. Then once my real training gets underway in May/June, I would be able to slim back down and hit about 145 and race at that weight. Lighter is supposedly better for racing endurance sports (the "Triathlete's Training Bible" says that 1lb body weight adds 2minutes 30seconds to your IM distance race), but I am worried that if I don't beef up a little I won't be able to generate the power to push through the water at a good pace or hold a good speed on the bike. All things that are quite far away, but still on my mind.
I'm going to start incorporating some core workouts in with my swims. I think I'll start tonight actually. Last night I had a good workout and put in 2600 yds. Today I think I'll do a lot less yardage, but focus on drills and then for my main set I'll do get out of the water every 50yds to do a set of pushups or abs etc. I might have to look up some dryland exercises for swimmers.
That's all for now! If the workout goes well tonight, I'll report back tomorrow.
**check out the "TRAINING PEAKS" link to see the workout I have planned for tonight. It should be a good one!
(you need to check the box for 'show workouts' then hit 'submit' to see the workouts)
No comments:
Post a Comment