Sunday, December 12, 2010

Falling off the wagon...

It's been a busy week and alas, I have been pretty lazy getting in some workouts. It's a shame because I started off the week well. I had an 8 day streak going with 5 good swims and 3 runs until Thursday when I spent the night cleaning the apartment for Maddy's bday party. Friday was Mad's actual birthday so we went out to dinner and relaxed. Saturday I got up and swam in the morning, but I was a little lazy and just didn't go after it the way I should have. And I've been too tired today to do anything. I'll have to get back at it tomorrow.

One thing that I've really noticed about my swim workouts is that when I take a couple extra minutes to plan something out, I make sure I finish it. When I just go and wing it, I end up getting a little lazy and tend not to push myself. I'm going to have to sit down and structure some workouts for the next couple weeks so I don't have to write one out minutes before I head to the pool. Something that will make that a little annoying is that I've recently had to downgrade to the free version of TrainingPeaks, which doesn't allow me to save future workouts (check out the 'TrainingPeaks link on the top right if you haven't already!). It's not expensive to use the premium version ($10/month), but I find it ridiculous to pay for something like that so I won't. Beginngertriathlete.com has a free training planner, but I like the structure of trainingpeaks a little bit more (and I can put a link to my workouts on the blog through trainingpeaks).

Anyway, the one productive thing I did this weekend was I started my timed swims so that I can chart my progress over the next couple months. I will swim a timed 500 every weekend in December and then I'll up it to a 1000 in January (maybe even a 1500 in February depending on how my training focus changes).

Week 1 (12/11)- 8:28 (1:41min/100yds pace)

Keep in mind my goal for the IM swim is about a 1:30min/100yd pace. There's work to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment