Sunday, June 12, 2011

What am I doing?

Not a great streak the past few days... I'm questioning what the hell I'm doing right now when I'm so close to the end??

This past Wednesday it was 95 degrees, and I went out for a 2hr bike/1hr run. Great idea, but I ended up almost bonking bc I was so dehydrated. Why didn't I plan to take enough water??

Friday I planned to go out for a 6hr ride. I got a flat within the first 5 miles, which put a damper on things, but I was back on the road in no time. And I actually like the practice of changing them. I should mention it was 95 and humid again Friday. I totally bonked after about 3.5 hours... It took me a little over 4 hours for the full trip, but I was only going 14ish mph on the way back bc I was cooked. What was I thinking??? I couldn't get my legs the workout they needed bc I didn't hydrate! I lost 6+lbs over the course of the ride! When I got home I had to lay down bc I felt so terrible.

Saturday I had to get in a 1hr ride/1hr run from 6-8am because I had a lifeguard certification class 9am-6pm. I got it in and was actually pretty happy with it. But after the course I decided to go out and celebrate my old college roommate's birthday. A great time, but I didn't get to sleep until 3am.

Today (Sunday) I had to can the morning workout because I had another 9-6 lifeguard training. Well then I didn't get home and parked until 730, and I was just cooked from spending 4 hours in the pool today. All I could muster was a little more than a 1 hour ride.

I also ate like shit all weekend. I'm about 5-7lbs heavier than I thought I would be at this point. And about 8-10 heavier than I'd like to be for the race.

There are 40 days until Lake Placid. What the hell am I doing?? Where is my commitment? Why am I finding it so difficult to hold it together down the stretch? This disappointment is really bumming me out right now. It seems simple enough - set a plan, and stick to it. I've been setting plans, but I haven't been following through.

I have 2 weeks before I start my taper. This should reveal how much I really want it and what I'm willing to do for it.

PS- I put the 12-27 cassette on my bike before the ride Friday. I don't know what I was thinking before when I wanted to stay with the 11-23. At the very least, if I have a day like I did Friday, I might be able to finish the bike course with that 27tooth chainring. The 11-23 is an unnecessary risk with only the opportunity of a minuscule payoff by having that smaller 11tooth gear.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer about the workouts and flats in the heat. Last week was a freak week, I hope. Even @ 6AM the humidity just sucked the life outa you.

    I am a bit relieved for ya that you switched your cassette to the 12-27. I think you are going to have an amazing Marathon run split now that you can cool it on the bike course.

    Basically I have made ZERO commitments till after Placid. I cleared out my schedule for the 3 months leading up to the race knowing that every day of the weekend and Tues AM's are owned by the uber Ironman specific training.

    Hang in there! Your past HIM races speak volumes to your overall fitness. I think if you had to do the race today, you would do a pretty darn good job.

    Stay consistent! All Ironman vets I have talked to have preached that mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. plenty of time for you to NOW get into the full groove for the rest of the way. No more going into the ditch. Stay on target on the road and cruise and hammer your workouts.

    Eat lean / eat right - plenty of time ... in fact starting today and this week = PERFECT time to try and PEAK for 7/24.

    Remember the quote from that article you posted back in March or whenever...go stand at the finish line and watch the body types of the 9hr to 1030hr finishers ..... lets do this...I dont plan on that timeframe but feel I can make life a bit easier for myself with what I do over the next 40days

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the put-ups, amigos. Thanks for helping with some encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete