Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thanks, Dad.

I finished the hardest week of training in my life today with a 2 hour ride this morning, then a 3 hour run after that. A total of 26.5 hours training this week. I swam over 15,000yds, I biked over 255miles, I ran over 64miles. Maybe not too huge for a veteran, but for me it was a pretty big deal. It couldn't have come at a better time after last week's melancholy finish. Next week is my last huge week before I start to recover and taper. The day is approaching fast and I can't wait for it to get here. I want to see the fruits of my labor.

I can't help but to think of my Dad on a day like today. Not only is he responsible for genetically passing down my athletic ability, but he also helped me practice any sport I wanted to as a kid. Baseball was always my favorite, but he played anything with me. Whenever I wanted. Even after working 12 hour day after 12 hour day as a construction worker in the 90+ degree heat. My dad woke up everyday before the sun came up to get to work on time. Sometimes he wouldn't be home until 7pm. But he would still find the time to hit me fly balls, have a catch, and help me run the bases, all with a smile on his face. My Dad helped teach me how to play sports and be athletic, for which I am extremely grateful. But more importantly, just by being the great Dad that he is, he taught me hard work, dedication, and that if I want it, I can go get it.

Those life skills have really come in handy as of late. These past few months have been hard, and I didn't know I was capable of doing some of the things I've done. But I had my Dad show me it was possible to get up before dawn, work through the day, and come home to do even more. I had my Dad show me that if you want something done, you do it. If you don't think there's time, you make time. And if you don't think you can, you try anyway. So, thank you, Dad. You've always supported me, and always believed in me. You taught me more than I've given you credit for and more than you know.

Happy Father's Day.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting that Peter. I'm sure it made dad's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am way behind here, but I was just thinking...

    26 days.

    Anyway, nice post for your dad!

    ReplyDelete