Friday, June 17, 2011

Back on track

I don't want to jinx myself, and I tend to start off the weeks well but falter toward the end, however, I'm on a roll this week. Despite a disappointing Sunday I got after it on Monday with an hour bike ride followed by a great long run - 20 miles in 2:35. And I felt great the whole time. After a recovery meal and throwing on my compression tights you'd never know I just went for such a long run. A fantastic sign after going out for 20 miles! Tuesday I felt OK too. I was able to bust out a 5200yd swim and little over 2 hours spinning out the legs on my bike. Wednesday was a bit busier so I just did a shorter swim and an hour run in the morning, and I was done for the day by 8:30am. Thursday I slept. Mad and I came up to her parents' place in the Lehigh Valley. When we're up here I sleep like nowhere else in the world. I slept a solid 10 hours and still had to pull myself out of bed. I swear there is some sort of gas pumping through the AC vents that just knocks me out. But when I finally did wake up and have some breakfast, I lined up a monster swim workout. The pool at their YMCA is sooo much nicer than mine in Philadelphia. I liked it so much I swam 5,500m (over 6,000yds!!). I have no idea how fast I was going, mainly because I don't know what a good time per 100m is, but I'm over it. I'm focusing on going long now. I need to get through the swim with enough energy to finish the damn race. And if I can keep putting in these swim, sets I know I'll be fine. It's funny because I used to feel like my brain was going to explode after about 2500yds in the pool. Now, out of nowhere, I've been able to go a lot longer and not feel that way. I don't know what is causing it, but I'll take it. While swimming yesterday I kept thinking that maybe it would be worth splurging for a nicer pool next year so that I don't hate swimming in it so much. Maybe I should/could join a masters swim team. Maybe if I really focused I could become a good swimmer... Lots of things bouncing around my head. Anywho, I capped off the day yesterday with a nice hilly run. Again, I don't want to jinx myself, but I've never done so much in the beginning of the week. In 4 days I've already spent 13 hours training. I also have a 5.5ish hour bike ride schedule for today, plus an hour run. Then a 3 hour run on Sunday.

OK - kind of a rant this morning to fill you all in. I'll check in Sunday night or maybe Monday to let you know if I can keep up the speed I've already gathered this week. It could be a good one! And next week is my last really long week before I start to taper. I can't believe it's so close.

Happy training.

1 comment:

  1. NICE!
    totally back on track in a huge way
    AWESOME swims and great training...not to mention solid rest:)

    D

    ReplyDelete