Friday, January 28, 2011

Snow day!

School was cancelled yesterday due to the snow storm we had on Wednesday night. It was pretty cool because there was actually "snow thunder"...something I had never even heard of. The not so cool part was that there were something like 100 local buses that got stranded over night, some with passengers on them. There was also an 82 year old woman that fell in a snow bank and was there for like 16 hours before she was found... At least I had a day off of work though, right?

Our deck
I took full advantage of the day off. First, I had a pretty good swim (2200 yds) doing mostly drills and 6x200. My swim has plateaued which is slightly annoying. I saw some really strong gains for a little while and they have since fallen off. I am going to need to really focus on form for a while to see some faster times. What I don't want is to become comfortable at my current pace and then just stretch it out so I can finish the swim - I want to get faster. After the swim Maddy and I went to a great little french bistro for lunch (I had an AWESOME toasted goat cheese, red peppers, garlic and oregano sandwich). Then I rested/digested and hit the trainer for 2 hours, which isn't too long, but it's my longest trainer ride to date. I watched most of Avatar while riding which helped pass the time. I love that movie. Definitely gets 5 stars as a trainer movie.

Looks like this weekend will be filled with more swimming and spinning on the trainer... Yesterday's long ride was at a constant resistance and low average heart rate (148), I think I'll do some interval stuff tomorrow. I might hit the treadmill for a while on Sunday. I also want to sit down and set/start remembering my heart rate zones. I need to start training with a purpose. Another good training week is in grasp if I finish strong.

2 comments:

  1. That Sammich' sounds real good. ohhh u make me so hungary!

    I cant believe you got on the bike afterwards. I'd be 'turbo'ing like crazy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive had my trainer for about 6 weeks now
    and I have only used it twice at like 40mins each

    that will change in 8 days:)

    my swimming seems to come and go A LOT. reminds me of when I used to golf I never knew which game would show up

    and - today saw a dude running in his Vibram 5 fingers on snowpack sidewalk thought of you! haha

    Derek

    ReplyDelete