I was motivated to go for a challenging run today. And my favorite hard run is the mile repeat on 60-90 sec recovery. My endurance isn't what it was a couple months back during marathon training so I only did 4, but I had some pleasantly surprising success!
mile 1 - 5:40(hr181) I went out a little hard because I was afraid of how slow I was going since I haven't been running more than 2x a week lately and with no speed work. Quite a nice surprise... (although it cooked me for mile 2).
mile 2 - 6:24(hr175) like I said, I was cooked on only 90 seconds of recovery.
mile 3 - 6:17(hr176) felt good.
mile 4 - 6:07(hr179) took it out easy and went close to all out for the last 800.
The motivation for my run today was the fear that those around me are working harder than I am. A couple other bloggers training for IM Lake Placid (you know who you are) are putting in some really impressive workouts and it's only January 21! I'm talking 10+ workouts per week! This includes already doing 2+ hour sessions on the trainer (which I haven't done yet and don't know if I really have the stamina for) and even 2 hour BRick workouts (bike then run for any non-triathlete reader). For me, racing is what it's all about. I'm not superfast, so I don't plan on winning races, but I do see most other age groupers as my competition. When they are working hard, I know I need to if I want to beat them - and I do. Of course this is friendly competition - I will shake hands, hug, congratulate anyone that beats me and I would never showboat in front of someone I beat - but that competition gets me going.
I feel good today. I have a 5am bike on the trainer scheduled for tomorrow morning and I'm excited about it. It's the last week in January which means only 2 weeks until I start my official IM training program.
Do great work.
Hi Peter! I feel the same way re: Placid training... I'm "only" doing 6/7 hour weeks right now and I'm getting nervous about what others are posting. But you know what? Everyone is different and you can only control your training. I have faith in my Coach and her plan for me. I'm sure you are doing great - those are some speedy mile splits!! Keep up the solid training!
ReplyDeletefast man, FAST! Those are some mile splits I can only dream of. What I can't do with speed, I make up with never stopping. Would still love that kind of speed, one day.
ReplyDeleteKeep the beer cold for me at the finish line. I think you will be in line before I am!
well I know its not me logging 10+ per week as I nailed just one workout last week!haha - turnarond coming:)
ReplyDeleteur doing good on your workouts - hang in there til your program starts and you'll really get dialed in
Jon- I guess you caught that my post was partially directed at you haha. If you keep putting in the training weeks you've been pumping out I don't know how I'll catch you...
ReplyDelete