Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Good reading

So I picked up a great book yesterday at Barnes and Nobles - Be Iron Fit by Don Fink. I was looking around online for some free IM programs and although I found a couple, they didn't get great reviews from people who had used them. Some people mentioned this book as an extremely valuable resource and for only $15, I figured I would go pick it up. It's great! I should definitely be able to make my own program based on what is in this book rather than paying upwards of $150 for a program with a coach. I still might ask a coach to look over the program and give me some feedback on it, but this will be much cheaper than having someone make a program from scratch for me. And I've been weary this whole time of whether or not I really need a coach. I think I am pretty in tune with my body and from research that I have done and will do, I feel like I can answer most of my own questions. Maybe I am being naive and underestimating the value of a good coach, but they are expensive and this is only my first race. I have to be realistic in that I am probably not going to qualify for Kona on my first attempt - especially at IM Lake Placid. So maybe some time down the line if I am really trying to qualify I can employ a coach, but for now I think a couple good books and a lot of training will get me there.

Not that I thought for a second it would be easy, but looking over the basics of the plan I'm about to build, it is really going to test me. The suggested 30 week program would start right around Jan. 1 to get me to July 24. I think I am going to do my own thing for a little bit of the 'building phase' and then pick up the more structured program around Feb. 1. It is really important that I get in some quality swimming over the winter. This is more a confidence thing than actually a training tactic. I want to make sure that I am capable of swimming the way I want to swim. I know I can bike. I know I can run. I have yet to see that I am capable of swimming at the level I should (in my mind) be able to.

To give a very rough overview of the program - I will be trying to squeeze in 10-12 workouts every week. During the spring I'll be averaging about 13 hours of training per week and then in June I'll be averaging 17-18 hours and peaking around 21. Fuck. Luckily I'll be out of school by then. There are a couple weeks where I am expected to ride for 10+ hours and run for 7+ hours. That is just going to cause some tired legs. Period.

And speaking of tired legs...I've been watching more clips of old Kona races. Here is an amazing one. 1982 when Julie Moss (who was leading the women's race) collapsed 100 yds from the finish line! And then she crawls across!! Absolutely incredible stuff. Julie Moss 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment