Sunday, November 7, 2010

First 5k!

For the first time in a while, this week actually went how it was planned. I ran 50 miles in the past 6 days and I'll put in my long run today of 20-25 miles. I had to switch my long run over to Sunday because I ran in my first 5k yesterday at the New Castle County XC Championship. Tatnall was competing, but before the kids' race there was an 'old timers' race. I ran it in 18:55. It was a tough course that was hilly and had some pretty uneven terrain, but fun none the less. Of the 4 Tatnall coaches, I came in 4th haha. Those guys really know what they are doing. Looking back I think I could have run the race a little faster. I went out much too fast from the start. I passed mile 1 around 5:40 - WAY too fast of a pace for me to hold on to. Then the hills hit. I passed mile 2 around 11:54 and then just couldn't get my legs to turn over fast enough in the last 1.1 miles. I got passed by quite a few people in the last section which was disappointing, but I just couldn't get the energy to speed up.

Today will be an interesting one though. I'm a little hung over and I'm going to run in my racing flats just to see if my feet will be able to take the beating on race day. The race is exactly 2 weeks away. After the race I'm going to try to run a couple faster 5ks for fun I think. It's a cool distance bc you can't full out sprint, but if you want to put down a good time you really have to let it rip.

Enough for today. Happy birthday, Dad (the big 62 yesterday).

No comments:

Post a Comment