Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Some notable improvements

After a rest day yesterday I got back to it this morning with an interval run workout on the docket. I was really not feeling it when I woke up at 4:30. I got back in bed for 20 minutes before I pulled it together and climbed out. I suited up, used the foam roller for a couple minutes, and headed out the door. For the first 10 minutes all I could think about was turning around. I was tired, my stomach hurt, and I just didn't think I had it. The only thing that got me to push through was the fact that I haven't done a run interval in a while. By the time I got to mile marker at the river where I start my intervals I felt better, and I convinced myself I would take it out slow and just make it through the 4x1mile repeats. Once the legs started turning over they felt good, so did my lungs. I ended up having a great workout - 6:09, 6:06, 6:05, 6:01 - all leaving on 7 minutes (so about 50sec recovery between sets). The last time I did a 4x1mile my times were all over the place (5:40-6:24). This time I was building on each set, and felt good and controlled throughout.

It has been a while since I've seen an improvement in my run. I feel like since the Phila marathon in November my speed and endurance had been stuck somewhere well below my potential. It's great that I am getting back toward that point.

It poured rain tonight so I'm bumping my swim until tomorrow morning. I did a core/strength session tonight (first time in a long while), and I had some company bc Mad did an intense yoga workout while I hopped around to different stations.

I'm also thinking about making an adjustment to my weekend plan. I have another 4 hour ride planned Saturday, but I'm also coaching a double header... No idea where I'll find the time or energy for that. I might try swapping the long ride for a shorter ride with a lot of hill work and some all out efforts. I haven't worked on my speed that much on the bike, despite the fact that speedy cyclists always make a charge, and often win the longer races - example: Chris Leito taking down the Galvaston 70.3 this past weekend. So that might be a good option for the time crunch.

Enough for now - do great work!

1 comment:

  1. Christ Lieto was going so fast on Sunday that I didn't even see him go past me in the opposite direction. I am NOT joking! The dude held 25+ into a stiff headwind, then went 29+ on the way back!

    ReplyDelete