Baseball season has begun. That means my days are getting long. Yesterday I had to scrap a brick workout because I left my house at 6:50am and didn't get home until about 8:30pm, and I still hadn't eaten dinner. Having practice in the afternoons is one thing, and I'll usually get home by 6-6:30 on those days, but I don't know what I'm going to do on game days. Granted yesterday was an away game, which takes longer, but I think the only way to do it is start rearranging my program so that I do morning workouts on days with games (in addition to the regular 2 morning workouts I typically do). This means more 4:30am wake ups, and doubling up on days when I don't have games.
I have no idea how I'm going to do the amount of work I think I need to do during these next 7 weeks. I know my body can physically handle the 15+ hour training weeks, but I don't know how I will survive mentally.
This is most frustrating because I set my bar high. Maybe too high... But it makes me work a little harder, even if I don't get there. Sparked by a recent episode of How I Met Your Mother, my roommates recently pointed out that my "gap" (something that most people do well naturally, but you somehow just can't/don't do well at all) is estimating things. I always low-ball. Not purposely. It's just my gap. My parents live 15 miles from Philadelphia, but when asked how long it would take to drive to my parents' house, I'd probably say 10 minutes.... What I'm getting at here is that I may have set the bar a little too high for my goals this year. Is a 4:30 HIM really possible for me (that would be a 29 minute PR)? How about a 10 hour IM (in my first attempt at the distance)? Maybe in an ideal situation where I had a real person's job and could make my own hours or if I only worked 40hours/week without a commute... And this isn't even taking into account the fact that this is only my second season in this sport of triathlon. It's ironic that another one of my goals was to be humble and NOT be overly ambitious...
Just feeling a little drained today. I get very stressed when I have to miss a workout. I'm going to have to make some adjustments for the future.
the juggling training workouts might be the hardest part?!!
ReplyDeleteI was feeling the same stressors last week after missed sessions