My up tempo brick last night felt great. I decided that I just don't go at it on the bike enough, so if I want to get any faster I need to pick up the pace. On the program was an hour ride, 30 minute run. Unfortunately, because of baseball I didn't get home until just before 7pm, but I was out the door by 7:05. After a quick warm-up I hit the road hard until about 8pm when it started to get dark. I don't have any lights or reflectors on my bike, so for the last 10ish minutes I had to get on the path (not the road) so I wouldn't risk getting hit by a car.
The inspiration for the title came while I was cruising about 25 minutes in. I was catching up to a group ride from a local bike shop (I hope they were the A-riders). I caught them with about 2 miles left before the turnaround, and as I was passing them I heard one of the riders in the back say "oh bullshit a triathlete is leading this pack"... It got a little fire going in me, so I finished the pass. I couldn't hold them off though. I was dropped. The fact is I'm not a cyclist.
To focus on some speed on the bike, I'm going to make SURE I include some high intensity stuff at least once per week. There are 4 weeks until my first HIM so I'm planning on a long ride this weekend, next weekend going shorter, but with high intensity and hills, then long again, then the race. Again, I have no idea what I'm capable of, but I'm hoping to improve on my Syracuse bike split of 2:40.
My swim this morning affirmed my belief that I am also not a swimmer yet. I did 45 min straight swim, and it nearly bored me to death. Any bike or run under and hour seems oddly short, like I haven't even gotten started. But in the pool, I just lose focus, form, and sanity. I am planning a 4400 yd workout some time next week, and I'd like to be doing one 5000yd workout per week in June and July.
The only other thing I really need to dial in on is the diet. We had this delicious lamb cake delivered to us the other day from Maddy's mom. A dense white cake with vanilla icing and coconut shreds (coconut is good for you though, right?). I've let loose a little - I won't lie. May 1, I am buckling down. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Thanks, Susan!
Happy training.
Do great work.

That lamb cake looks yummy.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure I get the cyclists hatred of tri-folk, but whatever. I am working on it too, adding in hill repeats and such.
Swimming. Ah. I am not a swimmer either. You know if you break the workout up into sets...something like 5x500 or 10x200 and mix it up some it will be a little less boring and as long as you keep your rest short (10 seconds) you are still working on your endurance. Also if you throw in some hard fast shorter efforts, or do that 500 like...harder and harder each 100, hardest the last one, it gets less boring because you feel like your arms are going to fall off and you can't breath. ha ha That is what is working for me. And kicking and pull bouy...AND I have H20 Audio, which rocks.