Winter is here. It only hit 32F today with winds of 15-25mph (but I still got out for a good 2hr ride). Grad classes haven't started yet, although they do next week, and with no coaching responsibilities, life has been good. There has been little to no stress as of late - the way it should be.
Training has been going, but nothing crazy. I'm enjoying (most of) it. My typical week is: Monday ride easy, Tuesday pool and core/weights, Wednesday ride, Thursday pool and core/weights, Friday run, Saturday longer ride, Sunday longer run. The bike/run feel great. Even in the cold I'm getting out and getting it done. I'm running faster that I ever have on my longer runs, averaging between 7:00-7:15min/mile without feeling like I'm really pushing. I haven't put the HR monitor on, so I'm not sure what my body is really saying, but it feels good. Getting outside on the bike is 1000x better than riding the trainer for me. I hope to develop some better top end speed by keeping a strong base through the winter. Last year I think my trainer rides really just helped spin the gunk out of my legs.
Swimming continues to be a struggle... I've been easing into it. Probably easier than I should. But I've decided to go with this approach because I feel like I hit the swim hard last winter and then kind of tired myself out by the time the race season came around. I figure I'll start really ramping up my workouts/yardage in the pool in March/April so that I can peak in July/Aug. Realistically I know if I want my swim to see improvements I'll need to join a masters team and get in the water 4-5 times per week, but with my schedule this semester it really isn't an option.
My problems in the pool seem to be based around breathing and efficiency. I'm finding that regardless of how "easy" I go, I end up grasping for breath. I also find that during my kickboard sets I'm gasping for breath... This tells me that my legs just suck up all the oxygen in my body. Not really ideal in the pool, but I'm not sure how to address it.
More to come later. Maybe something of more substance. Thanks for checking in. Happy training!
No comments:
Post a Comment