Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Goals!

I can't believe how quickly this winter break has flown by. I'm back in school teaching tomorrow, and back at Villanova 2 nights/week starting Jan. 17. And for the many weeks following that, I'll lay out my goals for 2012...

1 - Have fun living life to the fullest, spending time with those I love, balancing work with play, and, of course, staying healthy and fit! A couple things were listed here, but they all tie together. I got pretty tied up with myself in 2011, and I just want to make sure I spread the love. If there is one thing I have learned from this past year it is that there is always time to do everything you want, you just need to schedule properly and want to do it.

2 - Be confident/competitive in my swim come summertime. This is going to require discipline and consistency. I need to make sure I get to the pool, do workouts with a purpose, and push myself. I'll be shortening up my race distance this summer, so I won't have to worry so much about making the distance (something that weighed heavily on me leading up to IMLP). I have some numbers/times in mind, but for right now I'll keep them to myself. The goal is just to be confident and competitive in my swim. I don't need to be winning out of the water, but if I need to be within striking distance.

3 - Get on an overall podium and/or win my AG. I've had a couple AG podium appearances in smaller local races, but I haven't gotten top 3 overall yet. That would be pretty cool. Realistically I won't be racing a ton in 2012. I only have 1 race on the calendar thus far, and on top of my own wedding, Maddy and I are going to 5 others. They are going to be a blast, don't get me wrong, but they eat up a few weekends.

I think I'll keep it at three simple goals for 2012. I have almost everything I could ask for right now, so as long as things keep going the way they are going it should be a good year.

In the next couple days I'll try to lay out my 2012 season vision - how I'm going to structure my training and racing.

Happy New Year, all!! Live it up!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man those years and summers of 5 or 6 weddings....I don't miss those. But you have the right attitude! Probably helps that you have one yourself!

    Also - if you are able to maintain a really high level of fitness this year and perform in the few races that you do...IMO it will make the years you have many races or higher aspirations that much better. though overall podium = solid and high goal:)

    D

    ReplyDelete