Thursday, January 19, 2012

Each day something learned

I find myself constantly collecting data from my trials training and racing. Input, input, input...hopefully this will lead to some great results in the future. My favorite form of input is that which I can deposit in the "pain bank". When I do something that is uncomfortable while I'm doing it, but I come out alive and hopefully in better shape than when I went into it.

I made a deposit in the "pain bank", and maybe the stupid bank, this morning. Despite the temperature at a chilly 20 degrees with 15mph winds, I was up at 5am, bundled up, and out the door with my bike. It was freezing. Less than a mile into the ride I had to put on my sunglasses to stop my eyes from watering and the tears from freezing on my face. I have pretty good gear, but I should have worn an extra pair of gloves and tights. The first 35 minutes of the ride were straight into the wind. It was cold and painful, but one thing that drives me is knowing that I can put this workout in the bank. It makes it easier to overcome discomfort and adversity when you have "savings" (memories of uncomfortable situations that you worked through and came out of OK). It also makes me smile when I don't see anyone else out there in the morning. Philadelphia is a populous city with a lot of endurance athletes that workout on Kelly Dr. I didn't see anyone else on a bike this morning during my 75min ride. I know they are probably on the trainer indoors because it was SO cold, but nevertheless, I was out and they weren't - I win.

Something else I can take away from this morning is that I probably could have gotten a better workout on the trainer... I'll set the threshold at ~30 without sun and ~20 with sun for my rides now. I struggled last year to get good rides in while on the trainer. Perhaps the solution is not to get outside for every ride, but rather to focus on the mental fortitude I need to get it done indoors.

To end on a positive note - I had a pretty good swim last night. I ran for 45min before hitting the pool, and for some reason my swim seemed easier than it normally does... Breathing was easy, and I felt smooth... I can't really explain it, but I'll take it. That's all for now.

Happy training!!

1 comment:

  1. dude!!!
    what a ride - INCREDIBLE
    nice winter training you have going on with the biking and swimming - get down with that trainer :)

    D

    ReplyDelete