Thursday, January 5, 2012

Building the race calendar for 2012

Some (moderately) exciting news is beginning to surface as I plan out my race calendar for 2012. A couple days ago I got an email from Schwaggle! (like groupon for active.com members), which promoted a half marathon in Atlantic City on April Fool's Day for less than $30. How could I pass that up?! It will be my first go at the 13.1 distance without a 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike before it. I'm excited to have something real on the calendar, and it doesn't carry as much stress because it's a distance I know I can handle without changing my routine too much, plus it only cost $30 so even if I end up missing it for some reason, it won't hurt me financially. An early season running race should definitely keep me motivated as grad school starts back up. I didn't do a single workout in the fall semester on days when I had class. I might have to start doing the early morning thing again a couple times a week.

Signing up for one race has made my mind start racing looking for other races this summer. I want to do 2 Olympic distance races and just let it rip. I'm thinking I'll do some smaller local races rather than something big and expensive. I would love to do the Philly tri again because it's an awesome race, well run, and right in my backyard. But it's also $185, and I found a couple smaller races for less than $100. There's also no way I'll podium at the Philly Tri - there are some FAST elites there, not to mention the pros... It's also in June, which isn't ideal. Training in the spring with work, school, and coaching baseball is going to be pretty difficult. I'm thinking a mid-late July race and then one more in August before XC starts up again. ¡Vamos a ver!

Lastly, I made a list of books I'm going to try to get my hands on over the coming months. I sent them to my mom for birthday present suggestions. It's coming up in February if any of you readers out there feel like getting me one.

What do you think of the list? Have you read them? Other recommendations?



Racing Weight: How to get lean for peak performance by Matt Fitzgerald






No comments:

Post a Comment