Monday, September 23, 2013

Benchmark workout for AC 26.2

After a busy work week traveling and attending conferences I had almost resigned to the fact that I haven't been doing enough work to run the Atlantic City marathon on Oct. 13. I figured I would give myself a long run test to see how I handled the time on my feet before making a final decision, and, much to my surprise, I felt pretty good. So, baring any catastrophe or injury, I will be running the full 26.2 in 3 weeks. Did I have an amazing 20 mile run that told me I'll be able to PR in AC? No. But I had a decent enough run that told me I'll be able to finish the marathon and come out fitter on the other side without risking injury. 

I got out for 17 miles on Sunday in just over 2 hours. My HR was steady and in the 147-153 range for miles 1-14. I felt good, so I decided to hit the track for the last two and see what kind of pace I would be holding at my lactate threshold (basically the HR I can hold for a 2+hour workout). My LT heart rate is right around 173. For me right now, probably a little closer to 170. Anyway, I picked it up going around the track and did mile 15 in 6:53 with a HR of 169, then mile 16 was 6:43 with a HR of 177. Somewhere in there is my sweet spot (I think/hope). 

My 2010 Philly marathon of 3:00:47 averaged out to a 6:52 pace... I'm not sure if I can handle that again, but we shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment