Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday runs

From September of 2010 through August of 2011 I ran all but 4 Tuesdays. Most of those runs were in the morning. Some were hard, some were easy, some were fast, some were slow, some were long, and some were short. But every Tuesday I ran. It has been a dietary staple that always fuels me. Since Mondays are typically rest days, Tuesday mornings were my first workout of the week, and it just fits that they were runs being my favorite discipline of my training.

Today's run made me think back to the hours I put in leading up to IM Lake Placid in 2011. I remembered how it felt to be strong and unbelievably fit. Right now I'm not, but that's OK. I'll get back there. 

It's interesting to me how the first workout of the week really sets the tone for the week. It's so important to get done because when I don't, I'm stressed for the rest of the week. And if I nail the workout, I'm happy for the rest of the week and feel less guilt even when later workouts don't go as planned. 

This week I'm happy so far. There's work to be done including a 2-2:30 run this weekend, which will be very telling of my current fitness, but I'm feeling good thanks to this morning. 

One last thought I had this morning - the training plan I am planning on starting after the AC marathon has rides on Tuesday morning rather than runs... I have always felt that Sunday-Wednesday is too long off the bike, but I will miss my therapeutic Tuesday runs.


No comments:

Post a Comment