Monday, September 9, 2013

Shoreman 70.3 race recap

It was a pretty good day at the office with all things considered. I always scroll down to find splits and then back up to read the report, so I'll just post the splits up top for anyone like me out there reading.

Swim - 34:37 (HR 132)
t1 - 3:04
Bike - 2:40:20 (HR 156)
t2 - 2:33
Run - 1:37:59 (HR 171)
Finish - 4:58:32 (HR 162)
18 OA, 3rd AG



So, like I said, not a bad day. I came in under my goal times for the swim and bike. So now the blow by blow...

I got up and ate breakfast plenty early, but got on the road a few minutes later than I should have. By the time I parked and picked up my packet it was about 6:25 and the race started at 7:00am. Of course there were lines at all the port-o-johns, so I had to wait. At about 6:50 I was next in line. I still had my bike with me and all my transition stuff. Needless to say I was quick to take care of business and then ran over to transition. I got set up and jumped into my wetsuit in record speed. I was on the beach by 6:58 for the National Anthem. Little did I know that my rush through transition would cost me a bit of time later in the day...

It was a two loop swim in a shallow lake. How shallow? When we got the 300ish yards to the other side I was scraping the ground with my pull. I even got up to dolphin dive a few times to get going and get a full breath. There was only about 25 yards of shallow water, but it was surprising. I felt pretty good, and frankly I don't know how or why. I haven't been swimming a lot. My suspicion is that the swim was a little short. The break mid way helped too. I hit the half way point at 17 minutes and exited in 34 and change. I was pretty happy at that point, and I think that's my current 70.3 swim PR...

Transition was a disaster. It was a small local race, so I just racked my bike where I could find space - no numbering on the rows. I literally ran around for what felt like 20 minutes looking for my bike. Finally I spotted it, ripped off the wetsuit, helmet on, shoes on, and off I went.

It was cold when the bike started - definitely below 60 degrees. I was pretty numb in my extremities. My HR was a little high when I started (in the 160s), so I eased off slightly to get it down into the 150s. For the first time I can remember in a race the bike felt smooth as butter and it was SO easy to get my HR to do exactly what I wanted. If I pushed a little it went up, and I could back off a little to take it down. It was perfect. The bike was also pancake flat. I'm talking NO hills, not even an ant hill. I stayed down in the aerobars and just went. Something else I have to say is how damn comfortable my new ride is. I only ride about 10% of my rides down in the aero position, so I always worry how uncomfortable I'm going to be. The Slice is PERFECT for me! I just love how it rides. Anyway, the one part of the ride that really pissed me off was the draft pack I kept getting swallowed up by. There were 4-5 guys just sitting on each others' wheels! They got to me and tried to sit on mine, but I called them out for it and one guy responded, "we're not trying to draft, but you can't help it out here..." BULL.SHIT. It was a small race... There was NO need to draft. Anyway, I pushed for a bit and let my HR get up to get away from them, but then they gobbled me up again. This happened about 3-4 times before I finally fell back from them at about mile 53. I was pissed. And it messed with my race plan because I had to ride hard surges to try and shake them. Something else that hurt me on the bike was fueling. I missed a water bottle and miscalculated in my hurried transition set up, so I was about 2 gels short of what I wanted to take in. I also ran out of water. I didn't take in anything for the last 30 minutes of the bike, which is really not ideal. I'm going to tinker with my fuel/hydration set up before I race again next year... Nevertheless, the bike went well. The Slice is awesome and my Rudy Project wingspan aerohelmet definitely helped too. I can't wait to throw some aero wheels on her next spring. Mom, Dad, Maddy, and anyone else who reads this and might potentially get me a gift some time between now and next summer, please donate to my aero wheel fund.  

The second transition was still a little confusing, but I found my spot quicker than I did coming out. I sat down and put some compression socks on because I was fearful of how my legs would hold up. I also grabbed as many gels and chomps as I could because I knew I was already behind on my nutrition plan. Then out I went.

The legs were turning over OK. I passed the draft pack punks within the first mile, which was a good feeling. The first few miles I was averaging a heart rate in the 160s and clipping off 7:10ish miles. Not ideal, but not bad. Things went on feeling pretty good until about mile 9. I started to have some cramps in my calves and my HR was well into the mid 170s. My pace had slowed too. At mile 11 I realized I needed to stop to walk a few steps. My stride was way off because of the cramping. I got passed at mile 12, and I HATE when that happens, but I had nothing to respond with. I limped across the line under 5 hours though, so I can't be too mad. My run split is my second worst half marathon though. The only one worse was in my first ever 70.3 in 2010 in which I limped a 1:55. The surges on the bike and the nutrition miscalculation definitely played a role. My fitness and low training volume is the other piece of the puzzle.

I can't be disappointed though. I had some really good parts of the day and I came out fitter. The run is concerning mostly because I'm signed up to run a marathon in 5 weeks. I'll take this week nice and easy, but then I need to test myself with a pretty long run next weekend - probably in the 18-20 mile range.

Onward and upward!
Thanks for reading!

PW

1 comment:

  1. nice race - solid effort especially for not following a specific plan in the months leading up to the race. Pretty great spot to be in with all winter to train and get ready for the 6months leading to LP

    ReplyDelete