Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Training while traveling (and a sneak peak at the MTB!!!)

My new job has allowed me some great opportunities to travel, which is AWESOME, but makes getting in a routine a little more difficult. Even day trips that get me home a bit later in the evening end up messing with my eating, sleeping, and evening workouts. That being said, I should take more responsibility because I have my travel schedule well in advance so I can plan accordingly. It's a transition, and I'm sure I'll get better, but I can't say I've checked all the boxes for workouts that were supposed to prepare me for this upcoming marathon. The fact is that I've only done two runs of over 2 hours (and I mean barely over 2 hours...). I've felt strong, and my weekly mileage is still pretty good, but not doing anything over 17 miles before a marathon makes me worry. Have I built enough muscular strength? Will I hit the proverbial wall even sooner in this marathon? Or, fingers crossed, will my legs just be fresh enough to carry me through? We shall see on October 13.

I did my last long run today (yes, a Tuesday morning). I banged out 1:45 at a nice, easy pace, then 2 miles on the track at my threshold heart rate. Add in a cool down, and I ended with 2:05 run all done before work. (Side note - that is a HUGE benefit of my new job. I would never have been able to do anything over 1:20 in the morning with my old position). The legs felt pretty good, especially considering that I ran a pretty hard 1:30 on Sunday and then 1:00+ last night with Maddy. The cumulative fatigue is there, but I just haven't put in the single long run... I'll write about a race plan, goals, and all that in another post.


The last thing I'll write about today is the very first ROYAL H CYCLES MTB that will be hitting the trails of PA by the end of October! I picked the paint scheme, and Bryan picked just about everything else with some help from other frame builders he knows. We went with a 27.5 wheelsize - not quite as large as the popular 29'er, but something more than the traditional 26" wheel. It will be a BLAST to get out on this winter! I'm hoping this keeps me riding often all winter long. More to come on the MTB as well as it is finished being built up.


No comments:

Post a Comment