Wednesday, March 21, 2012

VT Trip

As part of a wonderful birthday present from Mad, we headed north this weekend to Killington, VT. The plan was originally to spend Sunday traveling and checking out the local scene, Monday skiing, and Tuesday relaxing before heading home. Since it was between 58-73 degrees (!!) the whole time, skiing went out the window. But that meant more time to spend relaxing, hiking, and enjoying the area. 

This is a view from our room!


We ate great food, as we always do on vacation and pretty much planned everything around our next meal and some great local beers. Monday we went to Long Trail Brewery for a little brewery tour and to sample some of the local favorites. Then after dinner we sat out by the firepit and had some s'mores!


I was able to get a little bit of running in on the trip. Saturday, before we started traveling, I had a good 2 hour run up on Easton, PA, where Mad's parents live. Although I've spent a lot of time up there, I really didn't know any running paths in the area, so I went out to explore. It was AWESOME! I found some really cool trails along the Delaware River and felt strong throughout my entire effort including getting up and down the huge hills around Lafayette College. It was definitely a confidence booster going into the AC half marathon on 4/1.

In Vermont my exploring continued, but I didn't find as many good trails. I did find a LOT of mud. As it turns out the snow just melted on a lot of the trails, so there were times when I was sloshing through 4" of thick mud. Only made it out for about 30min on Monday, and this is what my shoes looked like when I was finished. They were nice and white when I started...


It's getting a little late, so I'm going to hit the hay. Check back in the next couple days as I do a shoe comparison with what I've been training in as of late. I'm trying to decide what to run the 13.1 in, so if nothing else, it will be a way for me to get out some pros and cons and help me narrow down my decision. Above are the Brooks Green Silence, which I've been logging most of my miles in as of late. And I've come to really like them.

More later. Thanks for reading.
PW

No comments:

Post a Comment