Monday, March 12, 2012

The excitement of the unknown

I hit the path around Boathouse Row yesterday for a good 1:50 run. It was the first time since IMLP that I wore my HR monitor, and it might have been the first time I've had a GU since the big dance as well. As for the HR, I had been purposely not wearing it at first because I wanted to get away from the numbers. Then, during XC season, I realized I was consistently running at a much higher HR than I normally would. I have read a lot about 'junk miles' and the 'dead zone', when your HR isn't low enough to build that aerobic engine efficiently, but isn't high enough to make it a worthwhile effort... So, figuring I was putting in a lot of junk, I stopped charting the data. Very scientific of me, right? Well as I suspected, the pace at which I have become "comfortable" running, is right in that dead zone. I'm still not quite sure if it matters though, because I'm doing so much less volume this year... I feel like training at a lower HR is really beneficial when you get lots of time there... I don't know. Either way, I used the HR strap, and it slowed me down a bit, helped me stay in check.

As I ran I couldn't help think about this half marathon I have coming up in just over 2 weeks. I've never run a straight half marathon before. On the one hand I want to take it out full throttle! It's ONLY a 13.1 mile race, right? I consistently put in longer training runs than that... On the other hand, it's NOT a 5k where I can just push, push, push, and hold on for dear life. As such, I have no idea what I can or will do. I guess I have an idea, but the not knowing is I think what draws me to these endurance sports so much. I love that I don't know what I can do! I can't wait to decide on a plan of attack, put it into play, and then see what comes of it. There are decisive moments in a race when you just say "hell, I'm going for it! Let's see what's left!", and I LOVE those moments! It's so exciting!

I hope that being relatively new to endurance sports isn't what keeps this feeling alive for me. I hope as I get older and have already raced many different distances they don't start to lose their allure... And I don't think they will.

Still a bit of stress coming down from work this week, so I'm doing my best to stay on top of everything. After a presentation tomorrow, I should be able to cruise through the rest of the week. And then TWO weeks of spring break! Followed by my first race of 2012...

Happy training.
Do great work.

No comments:

Post a Comment