Prerace: It's nice to finally have a race that is pretty close to home. Jerseyman is only about 30-40 minutes from Maddy's parents' house so we'll probably drive the route to the swim start on our way up there so we don't get lost on race morning. Saturday night we'll have dinner in Easton, at Maddy's house. There's a place Pizza D'Oro that has the most AMAZING chicken parm in the world. That will be my pre-race dinner, hopefully early. Of course I'll check all my gear and my bike to make sure everything is race ready. I'll try to do a little stretch before bed and be tucked in by 9:30.
Raceday: Get up around 5-5:15am (which is basically sleeping in on a race morning!), have some coffee, pb&j and a banana while getting on the road by 5:45. Arrival at the park by 6:15, which leaves plenty of time for packet pick up, body marking, bike check, etc. I'll set up my transition area, drink some water, use the bathroom. Get the wetsuit on by 7:25 and maybe do a little warm up around 7:30. 7:45 I'll probably down a goo, and 8am is the race start.
Swim: I want to go out hard for the first 300-500yds. This should get my HR up, and get me in the groove. Of course, I want some feet to follow, but I'm never very good at finding then or staying on them. I'll focus on long strokes and deep breathing. A big problem in the past has been feeling like I can't get enough air. Making my way around I'll start picking up the pace again about 150-200yds out, and I'll start kicking to get some blood to my legs. Hopefully I'll exit the water as close to 30min as possible. Realistic goal is to get out in 32min, I'd still be ok with 34min, I'd be disappointed with 36 or worse.
T1: Get out of the wetsuit, get to the bike. Helmet on, glasses on (not sure if I'll go socks or barefoot yet bc of the cut on my foot from the crash - if barefoot I'll leave my shoes clipped on and hop right on the bike, if not I'll put on socks and shoes then run out with the bike). Goal: 2:30.
Bike: Pop a clif bar asap. Then, just like Syracuse, which went well for me, I plan on getting the legs going fast first. Spin if I have to, but start moving! The first half is pretty flat with some rollers (course w/ elevation). I want to hammer it. There's a big downhill right about at the half way mark, which I plan on easing into to save the legs a little bit, then there is one big climb right after the half way point. Up, over, and on my way. I'll set my watch to go off every 17minutes to remind me to eat/drink something. I should be good for about the first 40-50 minutes on just liquids and the clifbar I'll eat as soon as I get on the road. Then I'll start powerbar gels every 30 minutes. That should keep my calories/hour at about 250, which I was told is where I want to be on a half distance. I'll start spinning a little more around mile 52 and try to hit transition with a bike split close to 2:30. Syracuse was 2:40, and I want to beat that. I know that "there is no good bike followed by a crappy run", but I'm going to lay it out there on the bike and see what happens.
T2: Hopefully be faster than I traditionally am. I'll ditch the wheels, helmet, shoes, and sit down to put on my socks and shoes. I think I'm going to just wear running socks, not my CEP compression socks... Also toying around with either a bandana or a hat. Not sure which yet. Should be out of transition in 2:30 or better again.
Run: This is the first place I'm going to start out conservatively. I want to negative split the run. I think I took it out a little too easy in Syracuse last fall, so I'll try to keep my HR around 162 for the first half. I'll probably down a gel in with caffeine during the first mile or two, then every 30min thereafter. I'll definitely hit the aid stations for water, but that's probably it on the run. The second half I'll pick things up a bit, but saving (or trying to save) myself for a little kick at the end. Ideally I'll cross the line in time for a 1:30 run split. We'll see how it goes.
This would put me right at 4:35. That's a 24min PR. Can I do it? Have I gotten that much faster/stronger? Will everything go right? I don't know. We'll see. That's pretty much the plan though.
The only other thing I want on Sunday is a 5 Guys cheeseburger and some fries with a soda. That should get me started on the recovery just right!
**Stay tuned tomorrow and Saturday as I might make some changes to this as I think everything over.

I think you can do it! Have a great race!
ReplyDelete