Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Healing

Some highs and lows this week. Of course the low is the bike accident and the injuries from it. One of the most annoying parts of this is that I haven't been sleeping well. That is a huge problem for me because I can ALWAYS sleep. I've been trying to let the cut on my hip get some air at night, but it burns so badly I just can't relax. Last night my legs were feeling restless so I eventually put some neosporin on it and threw on my recovery tights. This is the 3rd night in a row that I haven't been sleeping well. I've even cut out any morning workouts this week because I want to be rested come the weekend. Let's hope this starts to heal soon.

 The positives are that I don't think the crash will affect my performance too much on Sunday, and it seems to be on it's way to healing. I went for a 1:30 easyish ride on Sunday and aside from some tightness in my left hip and swelling after riding, everything was fine. I cranked it up for a couple 30sec intervals just to see if it would hurt, and it didn't. I ran yesterday, an hour at varying paces. Again, a little tight, but no bad pain. If anything I actually feel a little rusty because I had such an easy week last week... I would think I would feel more fresh, but the time off actually made me feel a little awkward when I started to pick up the pace. I'm sure the rust will be shaken off by the weekend. On the bike/run at least. I haven't been in the water since Friday, and honestly I probably won't swim until the race. This isn't ideal, but the wounds still burn when they hit the air. I don't know what the chlorine would do to them. 2 additional notes - the Y where I swim is kind of nasty so I don't want an infection, and second I don't know what the rule/protocol is for swimming with open wounds. I don't think bandages would stay on in the pool for an hour. I'll just have to make what I can out of the swim...

Something else bittersweet- I found out yesterday that the State Championship baseball game is on Saturday 5/26. It would be amazing if we could get there and win, but I'll be missing my one and only chance to get up to Lake Placid to train.

Back to the race this weekend. I'm going to write up my race plan and goals some time later this week, but it will go a little something like this. I'm scaling back my goals ever so slightly... I'm thinking of shooting for a 4:40 and anything better is icing on the cake. I want to PR all 3 disciplines and beat my transition times from Syracuse. Lofty goals, but I think I'm capable.



More to come later this week. Bring it on, Jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment