Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Another Tuesday morning

I woke up this morning to my alarm at 4:44am thinking "God, I'm sick and tired of this...is it June yet? I have been getting up before 5 for 4 months now and I'm just sick of it..." blah blah blah. It's taking a toll on me mentally. But, I had some speed work on the program this morning - another 4x1mile workout. The annoying part is that I hadn't really seen too much improvement in the previous 2 times that I'd done a 4x1... UNTIL TODAY!

I'm super excited with the times I threw down today. Big improvements from a couple months ago, and I really didn't think I would be getting faster at this time of year, I thought I would just be maintaining speed and building endurance. Let's have a look at the numbers...

January 25 4x1 (1min rest)
5:40, 6:24, 6:17, 6:07
Not bad.

April 12 4x1 (1min rest)
6:09, 6:06, 6:05, 6:01
Better.

May 10 4x1 (1min rest)
6:08, 5:54, 5:53, 5:35!!
NICE!
Speedy Gonzales

Very happy with the run this morning. Getting anything in the 5:xx's puts a smile on my face. Getting 3 of the intervals there, all faster than the previous, AND that last 5:35 make me super happy! I hope the high intensity stuff on the bike is paying off equally as well, although it will be much harder to judge seeing as how I still don't know how fast I'm going...

I'll probably forego the speed work next week for a 'baby taper' into the Jerseyman half on the 22nd, but absolutely back to it come June. Maybe a 6x1 or 4x2 to beef up the mileage though. Full blown Ironman distance training starts May 24 for me.

In other news- I ordered a new pair of Asics Hyperspeed 4's. They are $55 at runningwarehouse.com, and if you are an active.com member you save 15% on top of that plus free shipping. Find me another shoe that I can get for less than $50, AND that is worn by pros like Macca and Ryan Hall. It's the best deal out there - period (I am in no way endorsed by or related to Asics - but if there are any Asics reps reading this, please send me some free stuff!). Also taking my bike to get a tune up this week. I can't take much more of the squeaking. Maybe they can fix my little cyclocomputer too - fingers crossed.

Happy training.
Do great work.

2 comments:

  1. nice speed!

    great tip on the shoes. Ive been an Asics guy for the last 4 years....but dont know what I am gonna wear for the LP run. Would you wear these just for specific training....or do you plan to use them on the run at LP? If you dont plan on using them on the run what kicks are you gonna wear??

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on wearing these for any race I run. They are awesome. Enough support for trainers, and light enough for a 5k even. And again, for the price, you can't beat them.

    I bought the new pair to have some nice ones for IMLP. I'll probably buy another pair before Boston 2012.

    ReplyDelete