Thursday, March 3, 2011

I used to think 6am was early

Today my alarm went off at 4:40am. If I told my collegiate self that I would be getting up at this time to get in a workout BEFORE going to work, and that I would be working out AGAIN in the evening, I'm pretty sure he would kick the crap out of me. He could do it too. I was about 30 lbs heavier in college, and I devoted all my time "exercising" to pumping weights.

Anyway, in the wee hours of the morning I did an easy 60 minute spin on the trainer - high rpm, low resistance. Trying to flush the legs out from Tuesday's run and yesterday's brick. I'll do an hour in the pool tonight - about 3000yds with a good number of drills. My routine is going pretty well, although it's about to get a lot tougher. Baseball season just started March 1, and I am the assistant varsity coach at the high school where I teach. I love baseball, and I'm excited about the team this year. I'm not thrilled about losing 2.5 hours everyday. But I'll learn to be efficient. I have a solid base right now and I'll keep building - maybe just not at the same rate. Swimming will have to take a backseat for a couple weeks because the hours at my pool make it difficult to swim around my schedule. I'll be lucky to get in there 3x per week. I'll really pick things up over the summer. It's more important that I keep my bike/run strong.

The last thing I'll leave with is a couple interesting recipes that I found. Matt over at No Meat Athlete is a big fan of incorporating chia seeds and pinole - both ingredients were raved about in Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. A couple things I'm thinking about trying are the chia-energy-bars, pinole-waffles, and the homemade-energy-gel with chia. There are a slew of other recipes if you snoop around long enough.

¡Buen provecho!

3 comments:

  1. Damn thats early. I'm getting better at 5:30am but its still no picnic. Any earlier and I'd be a zombie.

    I'm a pizza only kinda guy lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with fitting in the baseball practices with all of your workouts! Time management is like the 4th sport in Triathlon sometimes it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. time is definitely the limiting factor for all of us!
    blogging is about to become really hard to do for me this week has been near impossible
    and I did a brick at 4am yesterday:)

    good job on the training

    D

    ReplyDelete