I was up at 5:25 this morning to make a quick breakfast and coffee then head to the pool. I decided a couple days ago I want to start making smoothies. They seem easy, tasty, and easy to make and transport. I figured I could whip one up, throw it in a mug and pack it in the car to drink on my drive to work after a morning swim. Perfect, right?
Well I set out or got ready all the ingredients last night - frozen berries, banana, peanut butter, hemp protein powder and spinach leaves - plus ice and milk. I don't know how or why I thought this would taste good. As I started the blender with all the ingredients in there, it wasn't mixing... I had to repeatedly pack it down with a spoon and take the top off so that the mixture would get sucked down. After about 10 minutes of using the blender, and not realizing how obnoxiously loud it was, Maddy finally yelled down to me:
"What the hell are you doing?"
"Sorry I'm making a smoothie"
"What's in it? Gravel?"
Hahahaha... Our other roommate popped his head out of the bedroom right next to the kitchen a minute or two later and asked if I was grinding diamonds. Believe it or not, I was totally oblivious to the god awful noise it was making - and the fact that it was 5:35am.
Then about an hour later, when Maddy actually had to be awake and downstairs, I got a picture message saying "remnants of gravel smoothie on the kitchen ceiling"
So a failure 2x for this smoothie. It tasted like butt, and it was not pleasant to make.
The noisy and messy part I can fix. I think I'll start making the smoothies the night before from now on. But the taste is something I will need to work on... I really want something that a) doesn't taste like butt, b) gives me lots of good nutrients for after a morning workout (stuff like fruit, protein, iron, etc.), and c) I'd really love a shake with caffeine in it too so I don't have to drink cold coffee after my workout. Any good recipes out there?

Skip the spinach. That belongs in salad! ;)
ReplyDeleteI think your problem was you didn't have enough liquid in there.
These are super easy and TASTY!
2 cups OJ
1 banana
10 strawberries
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
2 cups OJ
1 banana
1/2 mango (you can buy frozen chunks)
pineapple chunks
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
2 cups milk
1 banana
2 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
Enjoy! The whey protein powder gets 40 grams in there. I use these mainly for recovery, but they will fill ya up!
Hi Peter!
ReplyDeleteNice blog you have here. FYI, I created a community of triathlete bloggers online called TriumphTriathlon.com. It's still in BETA phase right now but I'm trying to grow the community. You could also win free entry into the 140.6 of your choice! Please check out. Thanks for your help and keep up the good work on your blog!
Make it a great day,
Ruben
lol @ the smoothie morning
ReplyDeleteno smoothies for me Ive just been sticking to protein powders and water so far...
D