As the title clearly states, I made some alterations to my bike set up. I feel like I finally got it ready for outdoor rides. After reading an article on Joe Friel's blog, I adjusted the cleats on my shoes to a mid-sole position, I raised the seat about half an inch and slid it about a quarter inch forward. I also had to straighten out my aerobars, I put on a new rear tire, and I tried to get my speedometer working (although it still doesn't). Then I hit the roads Saturday for a 3 hour ride. It felt good. I wouldn't mind if it warmed up about another 5-10 degrees because by the time I got back I was pretty chilly (actually I was almost numb), but I'll take that over a ride on the trainer ANY day. Although a 15 min transition run was planned after the bike, I canned because we were headed to a graduation party and I was running late.
Sunday I hit the roads for 1:40. My legs actually felt pretty good. I'm starting to feel confident about my running again. It's always been my strength, but I feel the effects of workouts very quickly. I've finally been getting my interval workouts going about once per week again, and they really help. Friday I did 6x800, then this morning I was out the door at 5am to do 4x5min in zone 4/5 with 2 min recovery. I'm feeling good.
I also had a successful smoothie experience today! First off, I made it last night. Also, I added much more liquid, and I used vanilla flavored whey protein powder instead of chocolate/chalk flavored hemp protein.
I ended last week with 11.5 hours training. All S/B/R. I want to end with over 12 this week and include some core and strength work. Getting out the door by 5am four times this week will be tough, although today is done so only 3 more.
Some VERY good news! Saturday starts spring break at the school where I work. 2 weeks off!! Gotta love private schools. Maddy and I are headed to San Juan, PR from 3/20-25. Something crazy that I just saw after booking the tickets is that on 3/19 (the day before I get there!) they are having the San Juan IM 70.3! I would have LOVED to get down there and watch it! AND my hotel is less than a mile from the swim! Which is awesome because I'll be swimming the course almost every morning. I hope they leave the buoys out for a few days... Even if they don't, it will be fun getting out in the open water. The water temp is 77 degrees, so no need to pack the wetsuit. Probably better to train without it anyway.
Ok - that's enough for today. I'm a little all over the place because I started this post yesterday, but didn't finish it. One more goal for the week is to put up a really good/interesting post before I leave.
Do great work!
That swim sounds better than a pool! I'm tired of the pool :)
ReplyDeleteReally interesting post? Excellent! There is a first for everything! ;)
San Juan!!! im envious (jealous)
ReplyDelete