So this weekend I was thinking a lot about what I'm doing... What I'm doing day to day, what I'm giving up, why I'm doing it all, etc. I'm working on a post to come later this week that will encompass all of that.
For now I'll just say that I'm moving along. I have been a little less enthusiastic and tenacious with my workouts as I would like this month. I've been cutting my long rides, I swapped out all my runs last week for rides, my swimming has plateaued in both speed and volume... I just haven't found the motivation that will get me through everything. I'm lacking the consistency that I need.
That is why I think it might be a good time to CRASH! I read this article on Joe Friel's blog, and it got me thinking. A "crash" is basically a workout bender. For 1-2 weeks you just have to put your body through hell. Ramp up the training to the point of over-training (but just before the point of injury) and you can see some really positive improvements once you recover. It might be just what the doctor ordered.
Now the question is where am I going to fit in this bender?? Baseball starts next week, which means I lose an extra 2+ hours per day. Don't get me wrong, I love coaching, and I love baseball season, but it's going to do a number on me. Luckily I do have spring break coming in a few weeks. March 18-April 4 is when I'll try to fit in my "crash". By this time I should be able to get outside on the bike, and I'm far enough away from a race that I won't hurt myself competitively.
That's all for now. Although I'm a little mentally down on training right now, I have been doing a good job getting up for my 5am workouts. I even got out for a 50 minute run this morning despite 4" of snow. It was kind of cool seeing only my tracks on the path that I run on. If the early bird gets the worm, I got it this morning.
Do great work!
Sounds like a great idea! I plan on putting together my own Training Camp From Hell come April-ish. I have another scheduled for June.
ReplyDeleteMaybe U should go the other route though? An easy couple of recovery weeks? Gather yourself, take some time to relax? You know what works for you of course. I'd have to go with the 'crash' though. Once the momentum is lost and I'm eating potatoe chips and watching TV - I may not get back to it! lol
Cool idea man. I'm anxious to see how it works for you...
ReplyDelete