Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Less than 8 hours

No, I don't plan on finishing the ironman in less than 8 haha. I suffer when I get less than 8 hours of sleep. Once and a while it's ok, but a couple of nights in a row really start to wear me down. This morning was an example of it. I could barely get out of bed this morning at 6:00am, when I normally set my alarm, because I went to bed around 11:00pm. I got a solid 7 hours, but I was toast. Granted yesterday I was up at 5:00am for a 1 hour trainer ride (after only 6 hours sleep), then worked a typical day, went home and went to the pool for 2500yds from 7:45-8:35pm... But I remember in college and even before I got into triathlon I used to routinely function on 6 hours of sleep or less. I can't imagine that now. I drink coffee almost daily now even though I didn't start until last year when my training got under way. I'm very cautious with caffeine because I'm sensitive to it; more than 1.5 cups and I'll be sweaty and jittery for hours.

There are some people out there that can function and train off 6 hours of sleep per night, but I am not one of them. Luckily I am in the early stages of my training so my workouts aren't killing me yet - tonight is calling for a baby brick (45min ride/25min run). I need to focus on keeping myself rested during the spring or I know I won't really get anything out of my workouts - I'll barely get through them.

Onto some better news...I found my HR watch!!


It must have fallen into my bin of sweaters when I was putting away some laundry last week. But I found it! I was dreading the though of spending an extra $75 to replace it. Especially since I just added up my spending from January and I overdid myself a bit...

Happy humpday!

2 comments:

  1. Great charma on the watch!

    I too have been thinking I might be an 8+ guy
    my job allowed for it last summer and fall but this winter not so much....and Ive been way more tired as a result! not to mention our brutal temps

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to need 8 hours of sleep, then I had children. Since September, my wife and I have had only 2 nights that we didn't have to get up in the middle of the night. Usually it's every 2 hours with our 9 month old. I plan on doing an Ironman before I'm 40 and I kid myself that I am getting my base sleep deprivation training out of the way. Get all the sleep you can! Good Luck with your training sub 10 hour goal!

    ReplyDelete