The end of the workweek! It has been a long one, but a good one. I was pretty productive in my first week as a 26 year old. I was up before 5am on both Tuesday and Thursday to get in a solid hour workout before showering and going to work. I had 2 good swims so far and I'll finish with another tomorrow (and hopefully a 4th on Sunday). The swim workout I did last night was actually a pretty fun one...
500 warm up
8x50 drills
6x (50-100-150) alternating hard/easy with 20" rest
2x 100 all out on 30" rest
200 cool down
I'm keeping all of my fast 100's right around 1:25, which I'm really happy about. I also had a friend, Ed, dive in a take a few short videos of me swimming. It was great to see what I look like, although I have quite a lot of work to do. The video revealed that I'm dragging my legs, my back is almost arched because I'm trying to extend my torso, and my catch is too close to my head and too close to my centerline. I'm going to try and pay close attention to those things when I swim next and I'll try some drills to correct them. Hopefully I can film myself again in a week or two and see a difference. Something funny that another swimmer/triathlete told me in the pool last night, "if it feels good you're probably doing it wrong. If it feels awkward, that's probably right." It's funny, and true.
I was really hoping the weekend would be warm enough to get outside on the bike. It looks like it will be in the 40's tomorrow afternoon, but we have some company coming so I'll either have to brave it in the morning or punish myself on the trainer again. Sunday it should get in the 40's too, so maybe I'll make it out then. Although, I did get the 2010 Kona dvd so maybe a trainer ride won't be too, too bad.
Enjoy the weekend!
great quote there from that swimmer/triathlete. I am using it in a future swimming post. I just proved its true during my swim tonight.
ReplyDeletelove the quote
ReplyDeleteyou just reminded me I have the KONA on DVR still I should drag my bike into the tv room this week!
amazing when you see yourself on video isnt it?! we used to do it for golf all the time, Im frightened to see my swim stroke tho it would prob do me some good...
I wouldn't mind doing the video swim thing - it would be interesting to see how screwed up my stroke is lol.
ReplyDeleteI just acquired the DVD as well - I think I'll watch it this week!