Thursday, October 10, 2013

AC Marathon (less than) 1 week out

**I started this post on Sunday, but wrapped it up Thursday, so you'll see my throughts through the whole week.

The last real workout is in the books. I did a nice warm up of ~15 minutes easy, then some stretching and strides on the track. Then I hit the track for 2 miles at goal heart rate (170-173). The first one was easy, fast, and relaxed. The second was when I settled in. The first two miles were done in 13:44 averaging 171 for my heart rate. Nice. Then I went up and around town for 17 minutes holding the same HR range (with a little spike up to 180 on a hill leading up to town). Not sure how far it is unfortunately, but I estimate around 2 1/4 miles. Then I wrapped it up with 2 more on the track - same HR zone, but dropped to 13:55 the second time around. I cooled down and called it a day. All things considered, I felt very strong. The legs turned over well. I was breathing well at the effort. Again, the question is going to be how it pans out over the distance.

This week is all about resting the legs (and body) and just making sure I'm still sharp come next Sunday. Again, lots of questions as to how the race will go. My workouts tell me I can still run OK, but the big question mark is my durability over the longer distance. So here's the plan for the week:

- Eat well and hydrate!
- Easy run tomorrow, Monday (I was asked to help out with XC practice, so I'll spin the legs with them for 30ish minutes)
- Rest Tuesday
- Wednesday easy 50 minutes with a few pick ups
- Thursday rest or maybe a swim
- Friday a 3-4 miler with a few pick ups
- Saturday rest and try to watch as much of the Kona race as possible
- Sunday - game time!

Well now it's Thursday, and I've stuck to some of the plan. Eating well? Eh... I've had a few more sweets than I probably should have. Just topping off the glycogen stores though, right? The runs have been good. I'm getting the typical (for me) race week pains in my legs. Whenever I taper I get some unusual twinges of pain in my hips and/or calves.

Goals for the race:

- Finish. It's going to be a tough day. On top of the fact that it's a marathon, it's also calling for rain from now through Monday.
- Hold to a HR and stay patient! I'm going to have to put my ego on the shelf and just run by HR. I know I'll feel fine on the front half, but the back half could bury me if I'm not careful.
- Lay it out there in the last 10k with whatever is left.
- Time? I'll say this, 3:05-3:10 would be a B/B+. Not what I'm shooting for, but not bad. 3:00-3:05 would be an A. And anything sub 3:00 would be an A+.

It's tough because I know I can run a sub 3 marathon. Frankly, I think I could go sub 2:50. Sunday is not going to be that race though. I haven't trained properly to do that. Going sub 2:50 would require about a 3 month build and a perfect taper. I hope I'll do it some day, but again, Sunday won't be that day.

What I love about racing is also what I hate about racing.... You only get out what you put in. There's no hiding what you've done to prepare. You are who you've made yourself on that day. So, Sunday I'll find out who I am, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment