Anyone still out there reading? I've decided to bring the blog back. I'm ready to commit to training and racing again, and this should help me stay on track. The past year (really two) I had so many other things going on that I just couldn't hanker down and commit to triathlon, so the blog (along with my training and racing) fell by the wayside.
Here's a quick summary of what happened:
1. I got married! Maddy and I are as happy as can be. Things are great. I highly recommend getting married to anyone considering it. I'm sure I'll have some that disagree with me, but it's even better than racing an Ironman.
2. I finished my MA at Villanova. It was tough, but taught me a lot about myself (and Spanish literature).
3. I got a new job! I'm no longer teaching, but still working in education. I started July 1, so it's still very new, but I'm extremely happy where I am.
4. We moved. No more city living. While there are things I'll miss, I now have miles upon miles of open roads and trails to bike and run on. There are also some lakes around here that will make it easier to open water swim. And Philly isn't too far away. I'm sure we'll get down to the city often enough.
5. Mad and I volunteered for IMLP last weekend, and I signed up for 2014! The energy of Lake Placid during race week along with the stupid expense of the race entry should be just the kick in the pants I need to get back in shape.
The goal is to get into a good routine and get a strong base under me leading into 2014. I know I have a year, but I have some big goals for IMLP next year. I'd really like to knock off about 10 minutes from my 2011 swim (1:17), 20 minutes off the bike (5:33), and 10 minutes off my run (3:23). I believe it can be done, but the only way to do it is put in the work - and it's going to require a lot of work.
That's all for now. I'll post again some time next week to document my current fitness, set some short term goals, and put up some pictures from the volunteering side of the race.
Congrats on getting married!
ReplyDeleteand great news on the job...the move...and IMLP 14'! I am jealous for sure. Excellent time goals...Really looking forward to following your progress and success....especially as I take a year off...did IMTX earlier this year and went non wetsuit 1:01 / 5:03 bike - got off bike 3 in AG and hung on for 9 miles before hammy exploded. Shuffle walked second half mary to a 5:03 marathon and 11:15 finish (27AG)
I think I was undertrained on the bike and run for the paces that I was pushing in the race. Still injured no running for 2months.
Train Hard! you can do it. Will be interested to hear what you do. Same canned plan as last time (Friel?) for IMTX I did same canned Fitzgerald plan but modified the swimming to my own plan. How are pools in your new area? LMK if you want any swim thoughts.
Good luck and Congrats!
D
D- great to hear from you! Seems like your in killer shape after that IMTX start. 1:01 swim non wetsuit?! Yes, I want your swim thoughts! Put them in a blog or email them to me (wickmanpeter@gmail.com) if you have some time to jot them down.
DeleteI went with Friel last time. I have Fitzgerald's huge "Essential week-by-week" book, and I'm either going to use that or hire a coach. I'm struggling with the cost of a coach, so we'll see whether or not I pull the trigger.
I've got a pool 400m from the new place and keys to get in whenever I want, so I really have no excuse not to use it.
Thanks for the note!
PW