Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Getting back on (the) track

Part of the reason I'm bringing back the blog is to hold me accountable for my training. I've really struggled this summer to get into a routine, and it's showing. My weight is up and my speed and durability is down...it's ugly. My swim is just horrendous right now. I haven't done anything over 2k in probably 18 months. My bike is meh... I've been on it on and off, but mostly just for maintenance - no long rides (over 60 miles), very little speed and hill work. My run is weak too. I haven't done a long run of over 1:30 this summer that I can remember. Some of the turnover is still there as I did a 5x800 track workout this morning (and thought of the title for today's musings) that didn't go horribly. I'm not sure what the numbers I hit this morning would translate to in a longer race.

My original plan (months ago) had been to be focused during the summer months and race an olympic distance tri in August, a 70.3 in September, and run a marathon in October. I've decided to scratch the Oly race and try and use these next 5 weeks to get ready for the 70.3. From there I'll decide whether or not I'll run the full marathon in October or just do 1/2. I've never been one to mentally be able to have a "B" race or just race to get fit. That might be what I have to do this fall though.

The first "test" will be to see how I handle the next 5 weeks leading up to a local 70.3 at the Jersey Shore. I'm going to hop right into the middle of a Matt Fitzgerald program even though I haven't done the appropriate build up for it.

Lots on my mind, so there will be some good reads coming up! To hire a coach or to self-coach?! The pressure of my last year in the 25-29 age group. More goal setting, and the big question: what am I capable of? Check back for more...

Oh yeah, and here are some pictures from the past few weeks/months that are share worthy.

Andy Potts dominated for the second year in a row at IMLP. I'm a HUGE fan.

Maddy was a stripper...

The challenged athletes give me chills. Amazing stuff.

New swim start at IMLP. I think it will definitely help me out next year.

We drank some good beers.

I got some new toys that should translate to free speed.

I got Maddy an engagement ring and she got me a bike. That, my friends, is a perfect relationship.


PW

1 comment:

  1. weight up speed and durability down...sounds familiar to me! you cant be in peak shape all year round. perfect spot to start now. Your run will come back right away...the bike build will get you there...get in the pool now! two swims next week of 2000each? ....and nice looking ride

    volunteering is awesome- I am looking forward to Madison in a month

    ReplyDelete