Thursday, October 6, 2011

How long does it last??

Over the past week or so I've really stopped feeling like an ironman... I guess the title doesn't go away, but for me feeling like an ironman is more fulfilling than actually being an ironman. Pride of previous accomplishments can really only bring me so far, I guess. Part of this feeling comes from the insane loss of fitness I've been experiencing over the past couple weeks. With everything on my plate right now I've only been running 2-3 times per week, and that's literally all the exercising I've been doing. I went on a 50 minute hilly tempo run on Monday and it almost killed me. Quite a change from my IM training routine - a sad change. Telling people I'm tired and worn out seems way cooler when I say "I'm training for an ironman". Saying I'm in graduate school, working full time, and coaching just doesn't get the same response...

Enough moping though. Other things are good. IM World Championships are this weekend, which has gotten me back in a good mood since I started writing this post a couple days back. I'm betting on Andreas for the men and Chrissie for the women. I think it will be an epic battle in both races as Crowie and Marino will definitely push the pace, but I think Andreas is just too good. In the women's race I'm envisioning a 2010 ironwar-esque run chase. Chrissie will come off the bike first, but Rinnie is fast (she does hold the Kona marathon record I believe). I see her catching Chrissie, but Chrissie is just too strong, and she will pull away in the end. But you never know what will happen. I watched some GREAT clips of Crowie (training day- watch this), which get me thinking he might be strong enough to get his 3rd Kona win. And not that I'm comparing myself to Chrissie Wellington, but her recent crash she might be hurting a little bit come Saturday. When I got knocked off my bike 1 week before my only 70.3 this year I definitely felt it on race day.

I also can't help but think about what life would be like if I had just worked on my swim a little bit more this past year. 5minutes 24seconds is what separated me from a Kona slot. That's not a lot of time over 140.6 miles. I can't and won't always look back wondering, but right now I have to wonder a little bit...

Lastly a little update on the wedding front - we have our place, we have our date, Mad has her dress, I bought a tux, dj and photog are in the works...things are moving along quite quickly. All is good.

Anyway, that's about all I have for now. Happy training, happy fall, just be happy in whatever you're doing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same boat. That "I'm an Ironman" thing has worn off as my fitness has flattened.

    ReplyDelete