Lots going on as per usual. I can't seem to get a day to get everything together, which is quite frustrating. This past Friday I went down to Richmond, VA with the xc team to compete in the Maymont XC Festival. More on that below. Today I'm headed to a campsite in the Chesapeake Bay area with the freshman to chaperon the freshmen retreat. All fun stuff, but I wish I had a day to get some things done! Anyway, enough whining...
2 weeks back I went with the xc team down to Killen's Pond in downstate DE. It's the location of this year's state meet, and the team went down for a 5mile time trial to get a sense of where the kids are with their endurance. Our top runners were exactly where they should be. They ran well, some ran together to help 'pull' kids along, and overall it was a great effort. I ran with the kids to see what I had in myself, and I was pleased with the results. It was a relatively flat course, but there were quite a few sandy areas. I came across in 31:08 (~6:13min/mile pace). I think I could have gone a little faster, but I was working with another runner to try to pace him. Unfortunately, he dropped off in the last mile, but it was a good run overall for him. Nonetheless, with the amount of running I've been doing, I had to be pleased.
This weekend we headed down to Maymont, which is right outside of Richmond. Going on a trip like this with the team was GREAT! The kids, parents, and coaches all have a great time. The weather didn't cooperate quite as well as it should have, and we had to drive through torrential rain for the entire way down, but we arrived safely on Friday afternoon. After jogging the course with the kids I found out that there was an open 5k on the course that evening. I decided to sign up and knew some of the parents were doing it as well. It was a hilly course and the rain made it very muddy, but it was a blast to run. The layout was tricky for me because I wanted to come across with close to even splits. What normally happens is I go out too fast in the first mile, the second is where I want it to be, and then the third I slow down substantially. Well since the course was downhill for the first mile, flat the second, and (very!) uphill the third, it would be tough to even split things. And my splits were: mile 1 - 5:49, mile 2 - 5:58, and mile 3 - 6:22 plus the 39sec for the last .1. Total time- 18:51 (6:05min/mile pace). It's a 4 second PR, so I can't be disappointed. And the course was tough... I am curious what I could do in a flat road race. Anywho, after that I got a ride back the hotel, took care of some team meetings and went to bed. The next morning the kids went to town. The girls won the Varsity invitational. The boys took 2nd. They are really impressive. The girls took 1st and 2nd in their race, and our top boys took 2nd and 6th.
That's all I have time for now. I'll check back later this week. I'm dying to get back on the bike and in the pool a bit, but there's just no time! I also want to write up a review of the adidas adizero rockets which I've been running in...I'm very pleased!
Happy training!
The time trial last weekend and the Maymont xc festival this weekend. Good results, not great...
No comments:
Post a Comment