Friday, August 26, 2011

I'm learning

There are of course multiple meanings to the title. A lot is going on as the school year approaches, grad school has begun, and I finish my first week of preseason with a nationally ranked cross country team. Before diving into more details, I have to say that right now I am happier than I can ever remember being. Which, in my opinion, is like a primer for learning. I'm excited to learn new things, to take on challenges, and to reap the rewards of all of it in the future. It also helps that Maddy and I have never been stronger together, and our engagement has brought us even closer.

 But anyway - I'm learning a lot about cross country by being around a team with more accolades than I can name and very high expectations for this year. I used to think that XC was just a bunch of guys and girls in short shorts running around in the woods. It's not quite that easy (although they do wear short shorts and run in the woods quite often, so I wasn't totally off). The head coach has carefully derived an individualized plan for every runner, and we have 39 on our team. Many runners are on similar schedules, so it isn't completely individualized, but different kids will have different recovery days or focus on different areas. We practice from 9-11:30am and then again from 6-7:30pm everyday during preseason. Of course we don't spend the entire time running - that would kill even our top runners. We spend A LOT of time on dynamic stretches and drills to improve form and efficiency. We also do core sets, push ups, and pull ups, and during our evening session we usually head to the pool on campus to do a series of drills to get the kids' heart rates elevated without the impact of running. However, none of the things mentioned above are that shocking. Many teams do those things. I think the secret ingredient that Tatnall has going for it is team unity and positivity. The kids run in packs, not alone. That means some kids are going above their pace to keep up, and some are slowing down, but it's all in support of the team. There is a positive energy that you can actually feel surrounding the kids as they workout. It's incredible. And it isn't all natural. The head coach has made a point of stressing this important ingredient. It's a cool thing to be around, and soooo different then my training, of which I'll estimate that 95% was done alone.

I'm getting faster already. I know it. My running is strong, and I feel good. I love running. It's a shame I don't have the same feelings about swimming....maybe some day. I'm excited for a package to get here next week - I went out and purchased the Adidas Adizero Rockets. I love the Ascis Hyperspeed 4's, but they just wear down too quickly. After 200ish miles I start to wear through the sole to the white foam... I want a shoe with a racing flat feel that I can wear for 500+miles. Hopefully these are the answer.

I'm also learning in school because classes started at Villanova last night! I really enjoyed class. The professor was awesome, and I'm excited to be there. Speaking Spanish is fun for me and using more than basic vocabulary brings me back to it. There are some great personalities in my class that I can't wait to get to know. There are people from all over the world with different backgrounds and stories with different experiences... I think it will be a good semester.

That's about all I have for now. Hurricane Irene is supposed to come ripping through Philly this weekend, so I hope she calms down a little first!

1 comment:

  1. your run fitness is going to be unreal with this XC squad....and frankly its helping me to get motivated to improve my running!

    you had fantastic results in your Tri's this year but I'd be super interested to see how it translates into any 2012 Tri's you do

    ReplyDelete