Monday, April 16, 2012

Learning to suffer on the bike

Is something I need to work on if I want to see some improvements this season. I did a short bike workout Saturday and it HURT! I don't know what the difference is between hard run intervals vs hard bike intervals, but for whatever reason I can handle (and actually almost sickly enjoy) the run intervals, but bike intervals are physically uncomfortable and mentally difficult to get through for me. I want to quit after only a short amount of time. That is one reason I hate the trainer so much - I don't have the mental fortitude to push through. I suppose only maturation and repetition will help me with this, so I'll be making a point of incorporating more high intensity on the bike over the next 2 months.

It was a pretty easy workout too, which bugs me. I did 4x1min single leg (per leg) with 30sec recover. Then 2x5min at a pretty hard effort (didn't wear HRM and don't have power, but it was on the upper end of my potential), then did 2x2min hill climbs.

Climbing has always been "easy" for me, but pushing in a big gear is much harder. I think I have a pretty strong base, which is why I typically race any distance between 20-22mph, but I also think my max speeds is about 23mph haha. Hopefully I will be able to bring that max speed up a bit before I race this summer. I'd love to see 24+mph average in an Olympic distance race AND the legs to run afterward. One day I'll get there (hopefully soon!).

Looking forward to the summer. This weather makes me feel like it's already here - it's supposed to hit 88 today! Also, I got a job at an outdoor pool this summer. If that doesn't encourage me to swim everyday I don't know what will. It's also about 14 miles from my apartment, so I'll be commuting by bike daily. This summer should bring lots of fitness, which will hopefully translate into some results!


No comments:

Post a Comment