Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Weekend Training on the Charles River

Mad and I headed up to Boston this weekend to visit her sister and Bryan (of Royal H Cycles - aka the maker of my ride). We were off from school Friday and Monday, so we made a nice trip out of the weekend. Friday night we had some vegan pizzas because our hosts are both vegan. Then Saturday while Mad and Lesley went out to try on bride's maid dresses, the boys were allowed to have some fun cycling around Boston. Bryan and I only did about 25-30 miles on the day, but I got to see Boston in a way I hadn't before. We stayed out of downtown for the most part, but we ripped up and down the Charles River and hit some of the neighboring towns. Then we ended our day with a beer tour at Harpoon Brewery, which is conveniently located right next to the new Royal H shop. It was a great day all in all. There was also a lot of talk about another Royal H build coming my way in the future... Let's just say I've got my eye on a couple Xterra races for 2013/14, and I'll need the wheels to do them with... I'm VERY excited about this!

Sunday, after seeing how beautiful and runner-friendly the Charles river is, I went out for ~13miles. It was a great run. Not quite a "break through" run, but it felt awesome, and it was my longest in quite a while. After a 20min warm up jog down to the river, I did ~30min up tempo. There were a lot of fast people running along the Charles! People that pushed me way harder than those I normally see running around Philly. I didn't really plan on pushing it, but when some guy blew past me, I couldn't not try to chase him down (and I did). Then I cooled things down a little bit, back to a normal pace, and ended with ~10minutes of hill repeats. It took me 1:40, and 5 weeks out from a half marathon, I'll take it.

I have been trying some new kicks out as I got a deal through a friend who runs for Brooks. I got a pair of the Green Silence, and a pair of T7's. They both feel pretty good, but going out for 14 miles the first time you wear a pair of shoes probably wasn't the best idea because I ended up with a toenail about to fall off and 2 other blood filled blisters... I have pictures, but I won't post them. I know I wear my running shoes tighter than you are "supposed to," but I don't like having extra room at the end of my shoe. As such I just have to deal with lost toenails every couple months. There are worse things in the world.

Followed up the weekend run with some interval stuff this morning. Only 45minutes, but lots of quality! I updated my blog a little last week. On the right you'll see I updated my race schedule and my planned workouts/training log. The only other notable entry is that I got into the Philly Broad St. Run, which reached it's 30,000 runner cap in less than 3hrs. Pretty insane.

Happy training.
Do great work.

No comments:

Post a Comment