Well I'm about as ready as I'm going to get. The training is in the bank, my big ironman breakfast is being digested (I'll touch more on that later because it was amazing), and my bike and gear bags have already been dropped off. I'm just hanging around the cabin today trying to stay off my feet, stay full, and stay hydrated. The nerves are getting to me a little as I didn't sleep very well last night, and I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow.
As I think about this year, I can't help be taken back at the changes and sacrifices I've made. I remember very vividly talking with a coworker whose husband has done a couple IMs about a month before I signed up for Lake Placid and I asked her "can anyone really make their body go THAT far?" It totally blew my mind. I've learned that it is possible though. And it makes me think that a lot is possible if you put in the time and effort. I know I haven't finished the race yet, but I know that am capable. And, I know I can do more than just finish in 17 hours. The greatest thing I've learned through the training, the pain, the disappointment, and the joy of triathlon is just how capable we are as human beings. The limit is far beyond what you think it is, I'm sure. Once your discover that, it's just a question of whether or not you are willing to and have the desire to put yourself through what it takes to achieve a goal.
Learning what I have about myself has already made this year worthwhile. Regardless of how the race goes tomorrow, I already know that I'm capable of more than I thought was possible. Of course, I'd like to see just how much, which I can't do until I'm out there toeing the line on raceday, but in a few hours I'll have my chance.
Looking to the future, I can't say there is another ironman close by. I have a lot of things I want to accomplish, and they will take priority. There are also things that I've let fall by the wayside a little this year that I want to give some more attention. I'll get more into those things in a later post. Swimming, biking, and running aren't going to stop, however, they will just be more in moderation. I love the fitness these sports have given me. I also need to improve in quite a few areas to be more competitive, so I'll take some time to strengthen my weaknesses before I come back to the big show.
Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts as I wait for the today to pass and tomorrow to arrive. I'll leave you with Maddy's amazing ironbreakfast that I got to devour this morning...
-Blueberry scone
-Banana
-Pancakes (blueberry, chocochip, & regular)
-Scrambled eggs
-Sweet potato hashbrowns
-Bacon
-French pressed Kona coffee :)
-OJ with a little vanilla whey protein
(Picture to follow when she brings back the camera!)
just got home yesterday and winding back into regular routine today
ReplyDeletelooked up your stats today
GREAT RACE BRO!!!!
what a run !!!!
did you get a Kona slot? 7th?
cant wait to hear about your day
D